The Astronauts is a live-action Nickelodeon show about five kids who accidentally rocketed themselves into space. A teaser trailer was shown during Kids' Choice Awards 2020: Celebrate Together. The series premiered its first two episodes, "Countdown" and "Day 1" on November 13, 2020 on Nickelodeon.
Creator Daniel Knauf stated that while the series is intended as children's programming, it explores some bleak material that can be described as "if 'Apollo 13' happened with children." Furthermore, the series is part of a new kind of programming that Nickelodeon is exploring which could appeal to a broader audience. He also stated that when first meeting with Imagine, he told them from the beginning that the series was not intended to be "Kids Shot Into Space And Hijinks Ensue," that he would not do that show, and that the series is a throwback to many of kinds of shows made in the '50s and '60s.
A group of five children sneak into the rocket Odyssey II, excited about the idea of going into space. When the rocket unexpectedly blasts off the second they step on-board, they must use all their wits and skills to survive the adventure, while also contending with the vessel's malfunctioning AI, Matilda.
- Miya Cech as Samantha "Samy" Sawyer-Wei
- Bryce Gheisar as Elliott Combs
- Keith L. Williams as Martin Taylor
- Kayden Grace Swan as Doria Taylor
- Ben Daon as Will Rivers
- Paige Howard as Matilda (voice)
In addition to the show's award-winning production staff, directors of episodes include Dean Israelite (who also serves as one of the executive producers), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Picard) and Marcus Stokes (Criminal Minds, The Flash). Scientific accuracy was ensured by consultant Stephen Petranek, an award-winning journalist and technology forecaster. The members of the show's cast also had the opportunity to ask questions of a real astronaut in preparation for their roles.
|Season||Episodes||Premiere episode||Premiere date||Finale episode||Finale date|
|Season 1||10||Countdown||Nov 13, 2020||Day 85||Jan 15, 2021|
- Prior to the show's official release on Nickelodeon, a drive-in premiere was held for the series, attended by members of the cast.
- On November 28, 2020, the main cast members of The Astronauts will appear as part of an hour-long variety show on Nickelodeon, the The All-Star Nickmas Spectacular.
- The series takes place in late 2040 or early 2041. Will, age 12, was born in November 2028. Connie, age 35, was born in May 2005. The places the events of the first two episodes after November 2040 and before May 2041.
- Davenport, Emily (November 12, 2020). “It’s a show that celebrates a hopeful future”. Philly Metro. Retrieved on November 12, 2020.
- Spry, Jeff (November 13, 2020). Exclusive: Inside Nickelodeon's 'The Astronauts' space adventure with showrunner Daniel Knauf. Space.com. Retrieved on November 13, 2020.
- Nickelodeon's 'The Astronauts' got tips from real NASA astronaut. CollectSpace (November 12, 2020). Retrieved on November 13, 2020.
- Meet The Cast of Nickelodeon's The Astronauts. Young Hollywood via YouTube (November 6, 2020). Retrieved on November 11, 2020.
- Nickmas Holiday Programming Announced by Nickelodeon (November 12, 2020). Retrieved on November 12, 2020.
- 1.02 Day 1, seen on Lind Bellows' tablet screen when she tells Griffin that they have a facial recognition match on Will.